By purchasing yarn from String Theory, you’re lifting up a number of small and female-owned businesses. We help women in Rwanda, who survived the genocide, educate a new generation. We help women in Uruguay find meaningful work without leaving their rural homes. We help a family in New Hampshire maintain a mill, a tradition spanning hundreds of years. We help restore the Patagonia Grasslands by encouraging sustainable farming.Every yarn we stock makes a positive impact.
Box of Light 2023 PREORDER
Your Box of Light will contain 31 individually wrapped surprises (one for each day in December). Like an advent box with yarn and goodies, but instead of counting down to Christmas, we are counting down to the new year. And instead of just adding more yarn to your stash, we've created an experience for you that is more like a self-guided retreat.
"First thing this morning I opened my box of light and wow! This is going to be an amazing month of surprises each day. I ignored everything, grabbed a cup of coffee and cast on."
~ a happy customer
My Box of Light knitting was pure joy! Just enough yarn to keep me going, but not overwhelming. ~ very happy customer
Several years ago, we had an idea to put together an "advent" calendar for knitters. We loved the idea of getting to open a different surprise every day, but we didn't want to exclude anyone so instead of an Advent Box we created a Box of Light. Instead of counting down to Christmas, we included 31 surprises to count down to the new year.
Hundreds of you LOVED the idea! So it has become an annual tradition.
There are a lot of "advent" boxes of yarn out there now, but I think what makes ours different is our focus on the making experience and the benefits it brings you.
We want this to feel like a mini-retreat - the kind that you emerge from feeling cared for, rested, and able to focus.
We love the stories you tell about how opening up a gift from your Box of Light brought you daily peace and joy:
- Enjoy a solitary moment in a busy day, perhaps with a cup of tea. Or
- Connect with a family member or knitting buddy, creating your own private knitalong. Or
- Save the whole experience for the long month of January.
Your Box Includes:
- an easy cowl pattern that is engaging but not challenging to incorporate the yarns you open along the way
- mini-skeins from our favorite small businesses so you can discover a new favorite yarn without investing in a whole skein
- over 800 yards of coordinating yarns giving you options, if perhaps you'd rather make a shawl than a cowl
- everything else you need to complete your project (including needles) so you don't have to go searching
- 20 delightful treats to bring you joy
- suggestions and support for our newish knitters with questions along the way
Boxes will be ready for Delivery or Pickup in mid-November.
Please be sure to choose Shipping or Local Pickup during checkout. We are happy to ship, but we know many of you love any "excuse" to stop by in person. 😄