Yarn Review - Tosh Wool + Cotton
Madelinetosh has a new base, Tosh Wool + Cotton, a DK weight base made up of a blend of 50% Superwash Merino and 50% Pima Cotton.
Why You'll Love It
- Tosh Wool + Cotton is machine washable so it becomes an easy care garment for babies (and adults that sweat!)
- Do you run too hot for wool? The addition of cotton will keep you cool. This is great for transition wear.
- Wool + Cotton feels smooth and soft and sturdy like cotton. However, the wool keeps it from being too heavy and provides some elasticity so it will hold its shape. It feels a little like a lighter version of Spud&Chloe Sweater, if you are familiar with that.
- It knits up at a variety of gauges: 5.5 to 4 stitches per inch.
- It is very drapey. I can picture it making a beautiful shawl.
How the Colors Look
Because this yarn is a mix of plant and animal fibers, the colors are soft, like stonewash. See the picture above to compare the same Candlewick color in Tosh Wool + Cotton and Tosh Merino. The wool/cotton blend is much gentler.
What you really don't see in the pictures is the depth of the color - the lights and darks - that make each color very interesting. The variations aren't enough to pool, but they add personality.
What You Can Make
Madelinetosh created a collection of patterns (both knit and crochet) to use this yarn. They chose a range of designers and project types to show off the versatility of the yarn. It's an eclectic group - some lace, some more fitted, some more slouchy. My favorites are the Botanical Tee (knit) and the Frankie's Bucket Hat (crochet), but take a look at the entire collection here.
It would also make an amazing Campside Shawl. Perfect to wrap up in on a cool evening by the lake.
Click here to see all the colors. We would love to see what you make with it. If you post a picture, please tag us @stringtheoryyarnco. Thanks!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in What's New
by Janet Avila
Our Chicago Yarn Crawl is a fabulous opportunity to visit shops you’ve never been to before and explore the Chicagoland!
I have some tips for you in case you are new to yarn crawls or maybe haven't participated in a while.
Chicago Yarn Crawl
July 31 - August 7
21 Stores Participating
Our 2021 Yarn Crawl will be both in person and virtual this year! Be sure to check out the Chicago Yarn Crawl website for updates on all the activities and prizes you can win.